Tuesday, April 3, 2007

trick-or-treat for unicef

In his report to the House of Bishops, "God's Mission and the Millennium Development Goals" Ian T. Douglas reminds us that "The wholeness of God's mission is discovered in the combination of the Great Commandment, to love one another as God has loved us (John 16:12-17) with the Great Commission, to make disciples of all nations baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit (Matthew 28:19). Proclamation without loving service are empty words, and good works without naming Jesus as the Christ are simply honorable deeds."

(http://www.episcopalchurch.org/3577_83850_ENG_HTM.htm)

John 13:34

I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another.

John 15:12-17

This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. No one has greater love than this, to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. You are my friends if you do what I command you. I do not call you servants any longer, because the servant does not know what the master is doing; but I have called you friends, because I have made known to you everything that I have heard from my Father. You did not choose me but I chose you. And I appointed you to go and bear fruit, fruit that will last, so that the Father will give you whatever you ask him in my name. I am giving you these commands so that you may love one another.

Matthew 28.19

Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit...

These words resonate with today's Old Testament lesson, from the prophet Isaiah, "I will give you as a light to the nations, that my salvation may reach to the end of the earth." (Isaiah 49:6)

As we pray this week to participate in God's mission, reconciling all things to himself in Christ Jesus - and bringing his reign into fruition upon the earth - it is good to be reminded that there is more to what we do than to lay a tract on somebody at the supermarket or to trick-or-treat for UNICEF ......

1. Focus on the mission;
2. Stay together;
3. Keep moving forward, in the Name of Christ.

No comments: