Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Theosis and Silence

I’ve been studying the Eastern Orthodox notion of Theosis (divinization.) In the Eastern Orthodoxy, theosis is the principal movement in the spiritual life. According to St. Athanasius, ”God became man so that man can become God.” In the Incarnation we are united with the Divine nature and the Christian spiritual life is a process whereby that Divine nature is more fully realized within us. I vaguely remember reading Athasasius in seminary but am enjoying delving more deeply in this line of thought.

A great beginning reference on theosis, if you are interested, is found here: http://kevinburt.wordpress.com/2007/07/10/hang-up-1-theosis/

An unrelated gem was found in one of the comments on this blog. A reader, Craig Brown, wrote, “I have spent my life hunting God in words. Now I wait for Him in silence.” While I’m still hunting God in words (and Lord knows I speak many) I have reinvigorated my practice of silent prayer since my recent encounter with my Buddhist friends. It has been a nice homecoming.

If any are interested, Trinity Cathedral is hosting a workshop on Centering Prayer this Saturday.

Blessings.

Brian Baker
http://blogs.deanbaker.org/

No comments: